Meet Rockland County’s favorite son Giovanni Scaringi. At the 2011 New York State Young Republican Convention, Gio become the new State Chairman of the NY State Young Republicans, succeeding our outgoing state chair, Lynn Krogh.
1. When and how did you start being interested in politics?
I have been passionate about politics for as long as I can remember. I was blessed to grow up in a home where my parents taught me the importance of civics and the obligations of all citizens.
2. As State Chair of the YRs, what are some areas where you feel the YRs can either improve, or make more of an impact in?
I have been involved with the NYSYRs for a short period of time compared to others. It has been an amazing opportunity to work with so many other passionate young people. I believe that the next biggest step for our organization is to expand ourselves to the citizens of NY. Especially young people.
3. We have the 2012 elections coming up. What are some qualities you’re going to be looking for when it comes to who you choose to run against President Obama?
The two main qualities I will be looking for in a 2012 presidential candidate is someone who really understands the severity of our debt situation, and a concise plan on how to fix it, and someone who will inspire me. Not just figuratively, but realistically.
4. What about in New York in 2012? Who are some folks you think might make good opponents for Kristen Gillibrand?
5. When you aren’t politically involved, what do you do to relax?
I do lots of things. I love the Yankees, Soccer (AC Milan), traveling, reading, road-trips, music, concerts, playing my guitar and drums, writing music, the beach, shopping (Express Men), anything Apple, museums, and spending time with friends.